Sunday, September 8, 2013

Talk About Dense! Athiest Think God Can Be Measured!

Incredible though it seems, there are atheists who were Christians who think God can be measured!

Not only that but they clearly don't understand the concept of metaphor.

Both of these guys are very intelligent and know a lot of philosochy. If you ask me for a to 10 list of the smartest CARM atheists these guys would be on it.

Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
This exchange between the two of you is a good example of how discussions lose focus (unintentionally).

Unless I've missed out on cosmological developments of the last 5 years, nothing about a 'brane is measurable. It's theoretically measurable, but we can not quantify an actual 'brane's properties until we actually find one - and so far, we haven't.

 Occam
That's consistent with my position. Metacrock needs God to be impossible to measure in principle, not just for practical reasons.
Whateverman



I think this is what Metacrock was referring to when he brought up M theory. That branch of physics is almost purely theoretical, which seems to violate the premise of science being based on empirical data (and other stuff). In Metacrock's favor, there was (and still is) debate as to whether M/string theory should be considered science.
But, for the very same reason, M/string theory is a bad example of supposed failures in your approach (re. the OP).
 Occam
Good point.
That's consistent with my position. Metacrock needs God to be impossible to measure in principle, not just for practical reasons.

How could teh infintie be measurable. I did make that point. to my amazement he argues that:
  Whateverman [the Bible]asserts that God can be measured by sound.  i asked where he get's it.

 Originally Posted by Metacrock View Post
where? I haven't heard it.
Whateverman
You don't read the Bible?

John 12:28
Father, glorify your name!" Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and will glorify it again."

Quote Originally Posted by Metacrock View Post
Besides that's not a measurement.
Whateverman
The energy of sound waves isn't a measurement? Then you're committing the fallacy of equivocation.

At the risk of stating the obvious, God can be measured according to the Bible. You're the one speaking heresies, not me.



 Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
Metacrock: you have no objective basis for that statement.

The Bible clearly and unequivocally describes God as literally speaking to people. If you're going to deny this, then I'm not so sure you can even call yourself a liberal Christian.

Meta:
 all religious language is analogical. that is an objective fact. we certainly have more than amble reason to assume that.

"my ways are not your ways. My thought are not your thoughts. you cannot understand me, says the lord."

what does he say to Job when Job think he has it all figured out. He say "did you hang the stars in the north? did you bind the cord of origin and lose the pelades?" I'm quoting form memory so I may have it backwards. the point is He's saying "hey didn't make the universe, you dont' know what you are talking about you cant' compete with me you can't understand me.

atheists have so derided and degraded the notion of God that they just have it down to God as a big stupid slob that we can out do. that's utter idiocy.

 job 36:26

New International Version
How great is God--beyond our understanding! The number of his years is past finding out.

 Job 37:5

New International Version
God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding.

 Phil 47: 7

7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are the Atheists on CARM having a contest this month to see who is the dumbest? I don't know. That site concerns me.

yonose said...

They seem to forget another truism:

Ignorance is evident when a posited concept purposefully lacks the context and direction needed to address the issue.

Kind Regards.

Joseph Hinman (Metacrock) said...

yea, that's a good one!

Joseph Hinman (Metacrock) said...

J.B. "Are the Atheists on CARM having a contest this month to see who is the dumbest? I don't know. That site concerns me."

LOL it sure seems that way.

Unknown said...

Hello Metacrock, I am a Muslim and enjoy reading your work. Atheists have no compelling argument for their position. Everything in existence is a creation and thus evidence for His existence.

Joseph Hinman (Metacrock) said...

Saeed, good to hear from you. Thanks for your comments. I agree with you completely.